Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Reaping what we sow...


One of my favorite singers is Sara Groves. If you don't own one of her cd's, you are missing out. If you've never seen her perform you are REALLY missing out.... because as much as I love the cd's... they are nothing compared to seeing/hearing her perform live. I love that she makes me think. She writes about everyday things from a Christian perspective. Oh sure, there are praise songs...but there are also love songs for her husband (and not those high school type love songs... real, true, LOVE songs) and songs for her children (which, frankly, just make me cry, because she writes what all mothers are feeling) and songs about the journey of life.


I can't even tell you a favorite album. I own all of them. And each one is a different journey in itself. But recently Haley and I were hanging out in the living room. She was doing a puzzle (I swear, this girl can do puzzles that scare the heck out of me, lol) and I was cutting fabric. So I asked her to go pick a CD and we could put it in and listen together. She chose the Conversations album. First of all... that is just awesome. She didn't pick the Jonas Brothers, or the High School Musical soundtrack. She chose Sara Groves.


Anyway, it has been a while since I've listened to this album... she has made a few since then, and the new ones took their spot in my cd player. But as soon as "Generations" came on, I knew that I was meant to hear this song again. If you don't know the words or the song... well, here you go.

Generations
Inspired by Deuteronomy 11:26-28.
I can taste the fruit of Eve. I'm aware of sickness death and disease. The results of her choices were vast. Eve was the first but she wasn't the last. If I were honest with myself, had I been standing at that tree, my mouth and my hands would be covered with fruit. Things I shouldn't know and things I shouldn't see. . Chorus: Remind me of this with every decision. Generations will reap what I sow. I can pass on a curse or a blessing to those I will never know. . She taught us to fear the serpent. I'm learning to fear myself and all of the things I am capable of in my search for acceptance, wisdom and wealth. To say the devil made me do it is a cop-out and a lie. The devil can't make me do anything when I'm calling on Jesus Christ. . Chorus . To my great-great-great-granddaughter, live in peace. To my great-great-great-grandson, live in peace. To my great-great-great granddaughter, live in peace. To my great-great-great-grandson, live in peace, live in peace. . Chorus . Eve was the first but she wasn't the last.

Bear with me. I know this has been a long post. But really think about those words. Generations will reap what I sow. I can pass on a curse or a blessing to those I will never know. She is talking about her grandchildren, and their grandchildren. And those that they will affect. When you smile, when you live life to the fullest, and you teach whatever it is that you CHOOSE to teach your children... that will have an affect on future generations. Do you want them to remember you as a martyr? Do you want them to you remember you as someone that smiled, or one that was never satisfied? Do you want them to be able to go out into the world and do their will... or do you want them to depend on you forever? Sometimes I need to be reminded of this... I'm not "just a mom". I'm helping to sculpt the people that my children will be as they grow older. And the type of parents they will someday be if they choose to have children. What an amazing, amazing job I have. :)



4 comments:

Kelly O. said...

wonderful post!! I'm going to google sara groves!

HMaas said...

Thank you - what an inspiring post!! I actually just youtubed Sarah Groves and am listening to this song as I am typing. Next time I am at the Christian Book Store I will be looking for her CD! I like to hear reccomendations from others - sometimes the "Christian" singers tend to be too waterdowned for my liking but she seems great - Thanks!

ashley folkema said...

Wow Karin, you are one amazing person. One amazing mother. I love reading what you write.

p.s. I just looked her up. I will be ordering her music. Thank you for passing that along.

pamelama said...

You made me tear up and you made me think. It's a good start to the day!!

Love ya! :)