Saturday, July 19, 2008

You've got to love a finished project

Over a year ago, I decided to take up rug hooking. It is such a creative process. I drew my own pattern, went and claimed old wool by shopping Goodwill for unwanted old wool skirts, cut the wool into strips and made a rug. I finished the hooking part early last summer. I was so proud of myself! Of course, then it sat in my basement for the last YEAR, with the last little finishing bits left to do. You see, as always, I had decided to take it upon myself to teach myself the process. Well, I just did not GET how to finish off the ends. When you hook a rug, you have it in a hoop and pull the pieces of wool through the holes in the fabric. Then when you are done, you trim the excess fabric then fold it under. Then you have two options, you can hold it all together with twill tape by hand sewing it on, or you can whip stitch the ends under. Or both. Oye, I did NOT want to do both. But the twill tape intimidated me, and I didn't understand what they meant by whipstitching it together. So what did I do? I shoved it in a closet in the basement. Then I went into this cute little yarn shop in Holland (MI) and they told me about a Rug Hooking Open House down the street! Instant inspiration! I went in, looked at the rugs and instantly "got it"! WOOHOOO!!!



So are you ready? Here it is! (Stop looking at my dirty floor!)







And here is a closeup...



I used 3 different pinks/reds to make the flower, and I dyed the green myself! I had read how you can dye natural fibers with kool-aid...so I went for it. It was a very interesting process. I think I would do a completely different style next time, but for my first project I am thrilled. It was so much easier than I first thought. Of course, it was time consuming, but absolutely worth it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great rug, and some very nice hooking - I hope you are now hooked on hooking, I sure am!

Come join us on Yahoo Rughookers!
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/rughookers

A Little Of A Lot said...

That's very nice.

BTW: How did you learn to crochet ? That's going to be my next 'hobby' LOL

Karin Schueller said...

The same way I do everything...the library! :) There are some really great books, and I just did some real trial and error. The nice thing about crochet is that you can't drop a stitch like in knitting. Once you figure it out, you are set, you can't really mess up! Woohoo! :) I have also known people who took a class...but for me it was easy to do from a book. If you ever have any questions, just email me!!